Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Wednesday Progress report..


This past week I worked on a few projects:  One that had been on the back burner, fixing the separating roofs on my two F&C Ma & Pa RPOs, the other was to build the top decking of the coal trestle for Mitzel Coal after thinking about how it would look for operators standing looking down at the scene.



Here trains 3 and 8 meet in Red Lion.  I know they probably never met there but let's say 8 was extremely delayed with mechanical problems that day. ;)  The two RPO's were bought on eBay awhile back but had a problem with the roof coming unglued off the top of the cars in the middle.  I got the roofs detached and filed down the car ends a little so the roofs sat somewhat flush.  Before I re glued the roofs on I added weight to the cars to bring them up to NMRA specs.




After last week's post I looked at Mitzel Coal trestle for awhile and realized that most operators will see the top of the trestle so something should be there.  Working off some drawings in my Ma & Pa RR Plan book 2 I made a reasonable representation of a coal trestle deck out of Central Valley bridge decks connected together.  I cut out for the coal drop, painted and weathered it, then glue on the rail.



I removed the track and roadbed from the trestle site.



Destruction complete.


Here's what it looks like looking down as an operator with the decking in place.  The foam will be painted black before the deck is permanently placed.



I then temporarily located the deck on the trestle location.  The foam has to be shaved down a 1/4 inch so the track on the deck matches up with the approach track.


I parked a coal hopper up there to see how it looked. :)

I'm pretty happy with what I was able to accomplish this week. 





2 comments:

  1. Hi Ted,

    Impressive toy in the garage. Ride safely.

    The meet at Red Lion is a photo which is the harbinger of the charm of our dear MPRR which you are modeling.

    Nice job with the visual trick on the coal dock decking.

    Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Art,

      I'm having fun working on and riding the Honda. :) I've completed installing the trestle at Mitzel Coal and will show a picture of it in place.

      Regards,
      Ted

      Delete