Saturday, February 28, 2015

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." - Yogi Berra

One of the things that was pointed out to me by Jim and Galen during the impromptu shake down session was the need to either label industry sidings, or have schematics somewhere to show where they were located.  I had been thinking on and off about how I was going to tackle this and with operations probably starting sooner than later, I put my mind to it and came up with my solution.

I used Windows Paint (One of the accessory programs that comes with every computer) to draw up map schematics to show crews where they were and industry locations with track names.











The pictures show my track diagrams.  I printed them out, cut them to size, and pasted them onto the fascia.  It was a simple job to get done and another thing got crossed off the punch list.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ted: I don't like fascia mounted detailed diagrams. They cause the operator to watch the fascia rather than the layout. I put signs on buildings and use building names in switch lists. Keep your eyes on the train, track and industry - not the fascia. I do put simplified, unlabeled track diagrams on the fascia to locate toggles for electrically controlled turnouts.
    Dick Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dick,

    The schematics are easily taken down if I find out down the road it doesn't work well. I've operated at all kinds of layouts, and each uses their own way of identification of tracks and industries. I've found I like the ones who have the schematic out in the open for reference. We'll see how it works out.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete