Well, hockey is officially over. Congratulations to the LA Kings for winning the Stanley
Cup. They showed great teamwork and
though my Devils lost, I’m happy that the Kings were able to win a Stanley Cup
for the first time in their 40+ years as a franchise.
Despite the distraction of the NHL Playoffs, I’ve been working
steadily on the layout. Here are some
progress shots of what I’ve done in the past few weeks:
|The beginnings of the curved turnout. |
I built one of the curved turnouts I needed utilizing the
Central Valley Turnout kits that I had picked up cheap awhile back. I had been hesitant to try and tackle this
project, but I dived in the other day and got one built.
I didn’t follow the directions in the kit, I instead built a
hybrid of the kit, and Fast Tracks built components. I used the Fast Tracks jig to make the
points, frog, and running rails, but did not solder them onto PC ties. Instead, once everything was made, I glued
all the components onto the CV Turnout Tie Strip in place on the layout. This
worked out great because I was able to curve the tie strip first, glue it down,
then install the Fast Tracks built components.
Last thing I needed to do was solder
a throw rod onto the point rails and the turnout was built. Now that I built one, I feel confident about
building more of these anyplace I need a curved turnout.
|Here is the finished curved turnout on the top level. I think it came out great!|
I continued to install track and switches, mostly on the
lower level, and have all but two sidings installed on the half of the lower level that
is closest to the helix.
|Here we are looking away from the helix and we see the
completed runaround track.|
|Here is what the runaround looks like from the other end.|
I have 4 more days of work left where I teach, and I’m hoping
to get a lot more done once I’m off for the summer (in between checking things
off my Honey-Do list that is..)