Saturday, December 27, 2014

You may delay, but time will not. Benjamin Franklin

It's been awhile since I wrote a "real" post.  Aside from my yearly Christmas joke post it's been over a month.  Not that I haven't been working on the layout.  I've actually gotten a bunch of things accomplished and will be writing a few blog posts over the next week or two covering them all.

Christmas Eve, one of my presents to myself arrived via USPS priority mail:  GML Enterprises (Model Railroad Electronic Controls) Fast Clock System. 

http://www.thegmlenterprises.com/id19.html 

From the website: "This system design is for one (1) clock controller unit (Model #FC-6) and up to eight (8) remote analog clock units (Model #CLK-x). This CONTROLLER/REMOTE approach allows the installation of the controller in your dispatch panel and placement of a minimum of 2 and up to 8 remote units anywhere on your layout."

My friend Ted Pamperin Has used this system for awhile on his C&O layout so I know it works well.



I chose the 2:1 through 6:1 time ratios when I had this unit built.  The slow pace of operations on my layout will mean I'll probably be operating between 2:1 and 4:1.


All in all the whole system cost me $176 (controller, 2 clocks, optional time ratios).  I think that's a good price for a well built system.  Hopefully I'll get it installed this week while I'm off for Christmas break.

Prologue:

After publishing this post I went down to the basement and decided on trying to install the fast clock.  1 1/2 hours later it was done!  

One clock installed in the layout area.

Control unit installed and working.

I decided to install the control unit in the main layout area.

The second clock is installed inside the helix where it's everybody's favorite place to be a dispatcher.  OK, maybe it's not, but the clock can be easily moved if I move the dispatcher to another location.

The installation couldn't have been any easier and the system works great!  I'm very pleased. :)



 


4 comments:

  1. That's a good looking clock. Much more to your era than a digital readout.

    Earlier you worried about battery powered locomotives. Have you looked at the CVP CONVRTR ?

    Dick Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dick,
    I like the older feel of a dial clock to convey. It feels funny when I operate at a layout that has an era that was before the digital age but has a digital fast clock.

    I haven't had a chance to check out the CVP system yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted.....
    I've had my eye on this fast clock system for a while now but after reading your comments I think my choice has been finalized. Modeling the 1950s, I too can't bring myself to place digital clocks all over the layout. This GML system is for me! Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, digital distracts to a point me when I'm operating on layouts set in the age before digital. I guess if I didn't dwell on it, it wouldn't matter, but I do, so it does. :)

    Ted

    ReplyDelete